Yup, it’s E3 weekend. It feels different to usual, there’s an odd cadence to the announcements and streams, but it’s still unmistakably E3 with big presentations from Xbox & Bethesda, Ubisoft, Square Enix and more.
While some of the biggest shows are still to come – check out our E3 stream schedule guide – there’s already been a whole host of big announcements and trailers released.
Catch up on all the news in our dedicated E3 2021 hub, but keep reading for the highlights so far.
In the News This Week
Games in Review
There was one game on everyone’s lips this week: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. Has it lived up to the hype? (Spoilers: yes)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart – PS5 – 9/10 (Video Review)
- Skate City – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 9/10
- Ninja Gaiden Master Collection – PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Edge of Eternity – PC – 7/10
- Miitopia – NSW – 7/10
- Rust Console Edition – PS4, XBO – 6/10
- Wonder Boy: Asha in Monster World – PS4, NSW, PC – 5/10
- Guilty Gear -Strive- – PS5, PS4, PC – Review In Progress
And we had a couple hardware reviews as well:
Elsewhere, with the release of medieval battler Chivalry 2, Jim took an early look and asked, “Should you buy Chivalry 2 at launch?”
The announcement of Battlefield 2042 was the biggest pre-E3 news drop, and after a behind closed doors presentation, I dove in to explain why Battlefield 2042 is about much more than just 128-player battles. However, there’s also 8 unanswered questions from the Battlefield 2042 reveal that I’m sure we and series fans would love to have answered.
And with E3 2021 looming, I took a look at what to expect from all the E3 press conferences lined up for the weekend and into the start of next week.
Rounding out the week as usual, What We Played featured Chivalry 2, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Guilty Gear -Strive-.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- MrYd sampled the “stupidly addictive” Slay the Spire, grabbed The Last Campfire from the sale, and the free PS5 upgrade for Final Fantasy VII Remake.
- tactical20 has been a little underwhelmed by the first few hours of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
- In contrast, Dan has loved the game’s opening and is now 15 hours deep!
- doomsday619 has been playing Days Gone while waiting for Ratchet to appear… and it was worth the wait. It’s “been great so far”!
- After his old PC died, ron_mcphatty grabbed a few parts to build a reasonably powerful replacement, then dove into his PC gaming backlog of Tomb Raider, GTA V and Alien Isolation to try it out, before settling in for Grip and Train Valley 2.
- And willbuchanan snapped up the platinum for Puzzle Showdown 4k, before heading back to Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.
That’s it for this week’s gaming round-up, but strap in for a hectic few days ahead. As always, have fun at home, stay safe if and when you’re out, and we’ll see you next week.
– PAGE CONTINUES BELOW –