DOOM Eternal continues the revival of the classic first-person shooter franchise with newfound glory and gore, and already runs incredibly smooth on any modern gaming platform it’s available on (sometimes unbelievably so). Now, DOOM Eternal is even more impressive with its Xbox Series X|S update releasing today. DOOM Eternal is officially Optimized for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, and offers a wide range of performance modes for every kind of player.
DOOM Eternal’s free Update 6 includes more than just Xbox Series X|S Optimizations, so here’s what you need to know:
- Xbox Series X performance modes. Xbox Series X will include three different performance modes for players to choose from, ranging from maximum visuals with realistic lighting to maximum performance with silky-smooth framerates.
- Performance — 120 FPS at 1800p
- Balanced — 60 FPS at 2160p (4K)
- Quality — 60 FPS at 1800p with ray tracing enabled
- Xbox Series S performance modes. The Xbox Series S seemingly drops ray tracing support for DOOM Eternal, but is no less impressive with its remaining two performance modes, which also either prioritize visuals and resolution or performance.
- Performance — 120 FPS at 1080p
- Balanced — 60 FPS at 1440p
- Other next-gen enhancements. The Xbox Series X|S update for DOOM Eternal includes improved visuals and performance across the board, and should make load times even shorter. DOOM Eternal also now supports dynamic resolution scaling, so you never lose frames even in the heat of combat.
- New game content. Update 6 includes something for everyone, with new game content being added in this release. DOOM Eternal adds a new Master Level to test advanced players’ skills and a new Battlemode arena with Corrosion. Finally, there are other miscellaneous enhancements, quality-of-life improvements, and balancing changes.
id Software certainly knows how to take full advantage of the hardware they’re using, and DOOM Eternal is now at the forefront of current-gen gaming technology with its new Xbox Series X|S update. If you missed it, DOOM Eternal recently concluded its saga with the release of The Ancient Gods Part II DLC, which adds a ton of compelling new story content. DOOM Eternal is now available for Xbox Series X|S, PC, PlayStation, and even Switch. It’s also included through Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Cloud Gaming, further increasing its reach to players.
Update 6 for DOOM Eternal is now available. With its newly acquired Xbox Series X|S enhancements, DOOM Eternal has once again confirmed its place as one of the best Xbox games you can play today.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It’s possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. DOOM Eternal is available on Xbox Game Pass for PC and consoles, and includes Xbox Series X|S Optimizations.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.